18 December 2015

The making of "The Goat" mask [2]

While searching for pictures of skulls I got this mechanical idea, of making a moving jaw fixed to the main frame of the mask. So that when I spoke the mouth would also move, giving it a more "alive" look.



So at this point I had the basics of the idea ready. Now the next step would be to find a material that I could use to make this.

After searching a while I came across this material I once heard about, but didn't knew what it actually was or where to get it.


Each square is 1x1cm
This material is called Polycaprolactone (PCL) also known as Polymorph Plastic. It is a non-toxic, biodegradable polyester with a low melting temperature of about 60°C (140°F). Which meant that I could heat it with boiling water and mold it into the shapes I wanted to. So I bought it and was ready to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment