29 January 2016

The making of "The Goat" mask [8]

At this point I can start to understand better how the final project, the final aspect of the mask will look like. At this point I can almost see what the limitations I have with the material.


As you can see in the red part of the mask, there are imperfections. I decided to leave some of them and give the mask a rougher look to it. It isn't that I cant fix things like this, this material is really good for it. But since this is inspired in an animal I thought it would be a good idea not to make it perfect, you will notice this theme further on.
My idea is that nature is imperfect, but at the same time, I want to make everything in this mask very similar, not simply do it any way and call it art, or just put work into one side of the mask and leave the other because it's too much work. It has to look like it is part of the same idea, it just doesn't need to be exactly like the other part/ side on a microscopical level.

Also.
What I can't show you in this project is the work done in between all of this parts, like the changing of ideas, the drawings/ sketches to see where it is going. Since when I started this project I didn’t thought of making a documentation of the project it self, that only came when I found out that some people I showed it to were interested, and also because some of the ideas, and changing of them, were only in my head and sometimes it was while I was walking in the street, never actually taking them out of there.
What I also can't show you is how long each part of this takes. I don't usually time it, and sometimes I come back to a particular part of the mask over and over again, and because of that it's difficult to tell.
Still I can tell you that the first time I do thing takes longer than the second. For example; the holes in this mask, the first was the left eye, it took allot of time and I also cut my hands many times, but with time and effort I found better ways to do it, not just different tools, but different skills like different positions to hold the knife/ box-cuter etc. The second eye was really quick and easy to do, because I had the experience and all the tricks that I learned by doing the first one.

I know this post wasn't exactly a next step on the process, but what goes through and in between the parts I post.

No comments:

Post a Comment